Thursday, January 26, 2012

More purist in me

Much of the glamour photography out there is PhotoShopped heavily (just do a search for Madonna before and after shots if you want to see just how much) and that does sort of give me license to go nuts with PhotoShop, but then again, just because everyone else does it, doesn't mean I have to.

Case in point here, again straight from the camera. Some other pics I did adjust in PS (aiming for a specific look), but if I post them, I will tell you what I did.

I recall once going by a portrait photographer in a mall, his images were stunning and I told him so. His comment to me was (and I'm quoting) "I'm not a photographer, I'm a PhotoShopper" which left me disillusioned.

I'm only an amateur (and an uneven one at that) but I've always felt that the more you get right in the camera, the less you have to fake later.

I'm proud to say I'm a purist.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

There is nothing wrong with being a purist and we shouldn't have to make any apologies about it... although perhaps classicist would be a better term for it.

Purism doesn't mean it's perfect right out of the camera. For me, it's placing the art of photography in the use of the camera, especially as regards to using the light effectively, precise timing and framing the composition in the finder (and then living with the results).

Anybody can push little virtual sliders back and forth... so what?