Monday, March 24, 2008

Work

So I have a telephone interview set up with Northrop Grumman for sysadmin work. Supposedly the interview process is three phases. The first phase is the telephone interview with one or more people. I have no idea who these people are, they could be the janitors for all I know. Well the interview starts off pleasantly enoough with a fellow, who asks me some general info. He then introduces me to the other person there, a ladt and I gather, his boss, or at least his superior. That's when the interview went straight to hell. She was seven layers of hacked off that my resume wasn't customized for the position. I don't know about you, but tailoring a resume to fit a particular job, I find to be cheating. She spent the entire hour on the phone berating me for this oversight.

A day or so later I bring this issue up with a friend of mine who works there. He spent way too much time telling me how the hiring process goes, and that tailoring your resume is not only par for the course, but expected, and the reason the woman was so pissed is that the HR monkey who had fouond my resume had immediately set up the interview, without telling me what was expected. So basically, the woman had wasted an hour of her vaulable time talking to some unprepared idiot.

As it so happens, I would have been a pretty good fit for the job, but if I have to jump through such odd hoops, I'll pass. There are advantages to working for small companies after all.

No comments: