Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sheboygan

Believe it or not, this is a real flower. It's from something called a "passion flower" or as I like to call it, "The Plant That Ate Sheboygan"
My parents had one of these in their front flower garden. It was a climbing vine and as soon as it found purchase, it took over the garden and grew at a rate that, and I am not kidding, you could watch. I would go to school in the morning, and went I got home, the plant would have grown several inches. Crazy crazy thing. Cut it back and it re-grew at twice the original rate. And then one day it sprouted these crazy flowers, all at once.
This one was growing wild at the local botanical gardens, and needless to say, taking over everything. When I got close for this picture, I swear it asked me for a cigarette.

No comments: