Sunday, April 5, 2009

Surroundings

This is part of the staircase that lead to the garden. It's overrun and in disrepair now, as is virtually everything there, but as you can see, the marble is holding up reasonably well.
Everything was made of marble. Everything. In some places it was marble plating over standard brick, but in other places it was solid marble.
I can only imagine the cost involved to truck that kind of stone to the top of a mountain back in 1912 (I saw a foundation stone with the date on it.)
This image was taken in colour, but didn't convey the feeling I was trying to capture, so I converted it to black and white.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

I agree-the b&w conveys powerful deminisions ... the mass and weight of the blocks, the incredible textures displayed and the mixing of each to complete the puzzle.