Sunday, June 21, 2009

Expired

A very nice friend of mine gave me an old film camera. A Minolta Maxxum 7000, along with some lenses and a high-end flash unit. In the case, was a roll of Kodak 100 Gold film. Age unknown, but unused.
For fun I thought I'd run it through the camera and see what I got. The effects are....interesting. It's expired of course, probably by 15 years if not more.
As you can see, the image is quite noisy, as I understand it, the emulsion layer of film starts to break down as it ages, and in effect, creates a much noisier image than would otherwise be expected. Colours fade, lighting is uneven, in short, a surprise with every shot.
There are groups out there dedicated to shooting nothing but expired film. Given the difficulty of finding film as old as this, it is unlikely I'll be repeating this experiment again.

No comments: