Monday, July 29, 2013

Camera Tricks

Tomorrow (Tuesday that is, July 30th) I will be engaged in a battle of cameras. The rules are simple:
No post-processing
No cropping
No adjustments of any kind.
Three shot maximum.
One location, limited time frame.
In short, straight from the camera.


The winner gets bragging rights, and the adulation of millions of people.
Well, maybe not the last part, but I am determined to win this.

So in order to shoot something worthwhile, I needed to practice, and enlisted the aid of a close friend of mine to model. I don't normally do glamour photography, I simply don't know enough about it, but this time around I didn't want to do any landscape shots. So tonight she was kind enough to let me practice. The image you see here is straight from my Nikon D2x, in Black and White mode, with a 135mm f/2.8 manual focus lens.
The soft patterning you see is not from photoshop, or lightroom, or anything of that sort, but a black silk stocking attached on the end of the lens (the part that goes into the camera, not the other end)
AS you can see, it softens everything and gives you the soft Hollywood glow from times gone by, which was exactly the effect I was looking for.
I hope the judges like the shot (I will have to replicate it tomorrow, but I am confident I can) and I hope you do too. Drop me a line and let me know what you think.

No comments: